Types of Sexual Behavior
Review some case examples:
- Sam asks his daughter and her friend into viewing pictures he had taken of other neighborhood children, and then manipulates them into exposing themselves.
James loved taking the subway or bus, especially if they were crowded. He described having sexual urges and fantasies that involve touching and rubbing against a nonconsenting person.
Jasmine likes the feel of leather against her skin and the feel and smell turns her on. She often visits adult sex shops to spend an unusual amount of her weekly paycheck on sex products made of leather.
Mr. Connor gets aroused when female toes are exposed. He acquires a job in a ladies shoe store so that he may be continually exposed to this fetish of his.
Using the South University Online Library, the Internet, or the course readings, conduct a research on the different types of sexual behavior. Based on your understanding, respond to the following:
- Do you consider certain sexual behaviors to be deviant, abnormal, or perverted? Why or why not? If yes, how did you come to believe this?
- What are the various types of paraphilias? Do you find any of types of paraphilias disturbing? Why or why not?
- Autoerotic asphyxia is a form of sexual masochism linking strangulation with masturbatory activities. Do you think this form of paraphilic behavior is gender specific and why? What is hypoxyphilia?
- Do you think that labeling certain behaviors as paraphilic is a reflection of our society’s effort to control or discourage what it does not want to see expressed?
- What is the difference between voyeurism and exhibitionism? Is flashing a form of exhibitionism?
- What type of sex crimes would a person have committed to be listed in the sexual offender registry? Knowing that the people who are in this list have generally served their sentence for the sex crime they committed; do you feel that making this information public is a violation of their rights? Why or why not? Where can you locate this information?