Assignment 1: Gender Identities
- Assignment 1: Gender Identities
This module presented information about cultures who identify as biracial and/or multicultural. It also explored gender identities. In this module, you reflected on how internal and external appearances impact how we define ourselves versus how others define us. You also explored how the past and the present political climates impact populations you learned about this week. For example, think about a transgender person getting a job in a state that allows discrimination based on gender identity. Another example may include thinking about how the political comments about President Obama’s multicultural identity may impact a client. Finally, you identified how a counselor can advocate for clients oppressed by a volatile political environment.
In a minimum of 200 words, post to the Discussion Area your responses to the following:
- Identify three unique characteristics about the chosen population (biracial, multiracial, or transgender) that may be discussed in counseling.
- Discuss how the past and the present political climates may impact a client in this population.
- Identify one technique or intervention that would be culturally appropriate to use for this population. Remember to consider the institutional and social barriers that impact this population. Support your choice of technique with the literature.
- Identify at least one way that counselors can advocate for the populations discussed this week.
Support your rationale and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!