- Below is my assignment to show the tieout and sources for each transaction. I have attached the screenshot of example on how it should look like.
You will submit an Excel file that provides the tieout and sources for the selected/marked items in the attached file, which includes financial statements and MD&A.
(1) Create a column with the marked item within your Excel. There are 27 total questions (one post-it has 2 questions within so there is 1 less post it than total questions).
(2) Create a column (or two/more if needed) to provide the source of the disclosure. This could be, for a few examples: (A) directly from the income statement, balance sheet, or statement of cash flow (B) a calculation year over year to show an increase or decrease (C) an amount derived from using two financial statement amounts, such as cash flows less capital expenditures.
(3) You can use review notes or an additional column for text explanation. Review notes are handy and useful for highlighting an item. However to format the text, copy it and reuse it, or see it while using the spreadsheet, a separate column is likely more effective when explanatory comments are warranted
(4) If you desire, downloading the financials from Mergent into Excel on a separate tab may make the process much more efficient as you can then simply calculate within the spreadsheet. I must be able to review the formulas for grading, so if this is not utilized explanatory comments should be given for your calculations. Use tools such as trace dependents and precedents, absolute referencing, and others to make the tieout easier for you. These financials were obtained from Mergent. If you prefer better formatted financials to read than Mergent, you can find the 10K publicly available online.