In today’s current healthcare settings, the increasing diversity, globalization, and expanding technologies produce complex ethical pressures that influence nursing practice and practice outcomes. To be effective in a master’s-prepared advanced nurse practice role it is important to understand personal values, beliefs, strengths, and limitations. The purpose of this assessment is to promote introspective reflection related to implicit and/or explicit personal biases. Students will develop a plan to reduce bias and promote personal and professional growth.
Criteria for Content
Complete a self-inventory on personal biases you hold. The biases might be implicit or explicit.
- In a one to two-page summary, address the following.
- Identify your selected specialty track (education, executive, family nurse practitioner, healthcare policy, or nursing informatics).
- Discuss how biases can impact outcomes in selected nursing practice settings.
- Identify personal biases and attitudes toward people with various cultural, gender, sexual orientation, age, weight, and religions that are different than your own.
- Select one bias that you have.
- Develop one strategy to reduce this bias
- a minimum of two (2) scholarly literature references must be used.