- Psychotherapy With Trauma and Stressor-Related Disorders
Disorders resulting from trauma are significantly different from other psychiatric-mental health issues. Unlike disorders such as schizophrenia or major depressive disorder, trauma-related disorders do not occur randomly in the population. Instead, trauma is something that occurs as a result of the lived experience of a traumatic event. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (2017), more than half of the population will experience a traumatic event during their lifetime. Although most people will recover from the trauma on their own, some require therapeutic interventions. While there are medications that can help individuals with trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), the foundation of treatment continues to be psychotherapy.
This week, you explore psychotherapy for trauma by assessing a case presentation for clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder. You also examine therapies for treating these clients and consider potential outcomes.
Reference: National Institute of Mental Health. (2017). Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd.shtml
- Explain the neurobiological basis for PTSD
- Apply assessment and diagnostic reasoning skills to clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Recommend therapeutic approaches for treating clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Analyze the importance of using evidence-based psychotherapy treatments for clients with posttraumatic stress disorder
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2020). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (3rd ed.). Springer Publishing.
- Chapter 3, “Assessment and Diagnosis” (Previously read in Week 2)
- Chapter 7, “Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy”
- Chapter 11, “Trauma Resiliency Model Therapy”
- Chapter 15, “Trauma-Informed Medication Management”
- Chapter 17, “Stabilization for Trauma and Dissociation”
- Chapter 18, “Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Complex Trauma”
Assignment: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
It is estimated that more almost 7% of the U.S. population will experience posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in their lifetime (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017). This debilitating disorder often interferes with an individual’s ability to function in daily life. Common symptoms of anxiousness and depression frequently lead to behavioral issues, adolescent substance abuse issues, and even physical ailments. For this Assignment, you examine a PTSD video case study and consider how you might assess and treat clients presenting with PTSD.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide about diagnosing and treating PTSD.
- View the media Presentation Example: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and assess the client in the case study.
- For guidance on assessing the client, refer to Chapter 3 of the Wheeler text.
Note: To complete this Assignment, you must assess the client, but you are not required to submit a formal comprehensive client assessment.
Succinctly, in 2 pages, address the following:
- Briefly explain the neurobiological basis for PTSD illness.
- Discuss the DSM-5-TR diagnostic criteria for PTSD and relate these criteria to the symptomology presented in the case study. Does the video case presentation provide sufficient information to derive a PTSD diagnosis? Justify your reasoning. Do you agree with the other diagnoses in the case presentation? Why or why not?
- Discuss one other psychotherapy treatment option for the client in this case study. Explain whether your treatment option is considered a “gold standard treatment” from a clinical practice guideline perspective, and why using gold standard, evidence-based treatments from clinical practice guidelines is important for psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners.
Support your Assignment with specific examples from this week’s media and at least three peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Attach the PDFs of your sources.
Submit your Assignment. Also attach and submit PDFs of the sources you used.
- 10 days ago