Task: In this writing you are considering how and why the Long, Townsend, and Sinclair plans were attractive to the American public as an addition to the New Deal. Directly answer the question (what made the plans attractive?) and support your answer with analysis. Do not just write a descriptive narrative that explains the proposals.
Focus Questions – Keep these in mind while you read and take notes. Do not answer these questions directly, they are provided to stimulate your thinking on the assignment:
- Did the New Deal adequately address the issues being considered?
- How did each man publicize his program of relief?
- Were any of these men prevented from presenting their proposals to the public?
- Were these proposals popular with the American public? Why or why not?
- Did President Roosevelt respond to each of the three proposals? If so, how?
- Did Congress respond to each of the three proposals? If so, how?
- How were these men viewed after making their proposals to the public?